Pages

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Gluten free Brownies

Hubby was asking for brownies tonight. I thought it sounded good since I have a sweet tooth as well, but beings as I'm doing the blood type diet and getting ready to include aspects of Dr D'adamo's Genotype as well (just as soon as I do the measurements and figure out my genotype...I think I'm leaning towards Warrior, but will let ya'll know later). Anyway this means no wheat, dairy or corn products. Luckily there are a million gluten-free products and recipes and most are acceptable with my diet. So tonight I found a brownie recipe that I can make work and will share.
It's not done baking yet so I can't share the end result...but tasting the batter and it tasted really good all chocolaty and banana-y.
Ingredients:
Vegetable spray or Smart Balance for greasing pan(I used plain old canola oil)
1 3/4 cups applesauce
1 1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 mashed banana
2 eggs
2 1/2teaspoons vanilla extract
1 2/3 cup gluten-free flour (I used a mix of 1:1 soy and brown rice flours...don't really like the taste of soy flour but it was all I had and might as well use it up..and I was afraid that using just brown rice flour would of left too gritty of a product. Emeril's recipe calls for just brown rice flour)
2 cups chocolate chips (Emeril's recipe calls for vegan chips, but we're not vegan so it's not something I keep around the house...carob chips would probably be good though and more in agreement then reg. chocolate chips for my diet...I think a trip to Whole Foods may be in order soon).
  • Preheat oven to 350ยบ F.
  • Grease an 9x13 pan
  • In a large mixing bowl, combine all remaining ingredients. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
  • Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the pan comes out clean.
  • These brownies are dense and fudgey.

No comments: