Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Free Thinking

First, what is free thinking? According to Wikipedia Freethought is:" is a philosophical viewpoint that holds that opinions should be formed on the basis of science, logic, and reason, and should not be influenced by authority, tradition. or other dogmas. The cognitive application of freethought is known as 'freethinking,' and practitioners of freethought are known as 'freethinkers." Wikipedia also goes on to further say that Freethinkers don't accept ideas as truth with out proof.
Free thinking is also defined as:
adj.1.inclined to forms one's own opinions rather than depend upon authority, especially about social and religious issues; exhibiting boldness of speculation; skeptical of authority.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, published 1913 by C. & G. Merriam Co.

The phrase "free thinking" makes me think of someone who is open minded. Willing to accept that others have their beliefs and, right or wrong, they are entitled to those beliefs. Religion is a mixed pot of opinions and people trying to put a reason to unreasonable events. Why do things, such as hurricanes, happen? Saying it's Gods' will, or someone angered some wind/storm god or someone angered Poseidon/Neptune, gives us humans a reason. Describing weather currents and seasonal changes/patterns barometer, etc, also gives us a reason. Yep, I believe science can be a religion all of it's own.
However, from what I've gathered during a brief internet search, free thinkers are actually really close minded. They seem to put Christians in the same though process as someone coughing on you or not washing their hands after using the bathroom. They're all about keeping religion out of schools, out of everything. Because it may be contagious and your prayer may infect me or my children and I don't want that happening. They are all about their right to not have religion and separation of church and state. They forget that everyone also has a right to have religion. If kids/families/people want to gather and pray before school/game/shopping at wal-mart then let them. No body says you have to pray as well, only thing required for you is to either quietly leave or stand there quietly, and respectfully let them have their moment.
What brought this subject up is my daughter. While we may not have the most religious family we are mostly Christians. I have a tendency to waiver and see nothing wrong with it. Faith is a personal thing and my path is my prerogative. Right now my path is leading me to church and the studying the bible. I'm not doing this because I think it's better then any other religion. I'm doing it because at this moment in my life it's what I need. Do I believe the bible is the begin and end all, nope. I see it as more of a history book and book of guidelines. Back to the subject, after church this morning I jumped on facebook and found my daughter had been put into a group made by some of her school friends called Free Thinking Youth of the Mid-South. The group description is as follows:
A group for critical thinkers. Free thinkers.A Kids group for kids by kids. Against creationism and other organized religions in science classes and schools. Kids for REAL separation of church and state. We want to be able to learn more about discoveries of evolution and other theories in school. We are tiered of leaving our education up to the "Wise" adults.
We are anti...intelligent design, creationism, etc.
We are pro... science

To put it in to perspective, this group is a bunch of 8th graders (13-14 years old) and I know it's an age where kids question everything. I just hate the scary thought that my daughter may be influenced into one kind of thinking. I also didn't know they were teaching creationism in science classes today. When I was in 8th grade we learned big bang theory, evolution and all that good stuff. I'm also confused, if not for adults then who would teach these children what they know. Who do they think writes the books, articles, curriculum. Now in church today part of the sermon was how wisdom and knowledge didn't always go together (actually it rarely does). Just because someone is older it doesn't make them wiser. I knew and know lots of adults who hold various degrees and would not call them wise in the least. I also know some very smart people who didn't finish high school.
I will not request that my daughter drop from this group. I do ask that she keeps an open mind and take everything with a grain of salt. I do think that her friends are just rebelling and I want her to keep me informed of everything in case the rebellion goes too far. I worry that she is a follower and will go along with her friends beliefs because she thinks they are her friends. I just hope she realizes she has a mind of her own and is not a sheep.

No comments: