So today I'm sharing with ya'll this yummy stir fry I made at work last night. It was kind of a thrown together deal that turned out lovely. It has a bit of a Cajun feel to it and a nice bit of heat that warmed your mouth without making your eyes and nose run. I only work Monday through Thursday, and since I do not like letting veggies sit in the fridge over the weekend I try to use up everything I purchased by Thursday. So I had some unused kale and red cabbage. I figured I could cook the two together and then thought hey a stir fry sounds good. Well I had watched a cooking show on t.v. last week where the cook prepared run up turnips and used a smoked sausage. So I decided a stir fry with andouille would be great. So this recipe was born.
Like I am known to do, I didn't measure my spices and so the measurements are near guesses. You can always add more or less of each spice to satisfy your taste buds.
Spicy Kale, Red Cabbage and Andouille Stir Fry
1 bunch of Kale, stems removed and leaves sliced thin
1/2 head of red cabbage, sliced thin
12oz of andouille sausage ( I used Aidell's), sliced
3 ribs of celery, peeled and julienned
1 large carrot, peeled and julienned
1 jalepeno, diced with seeds and ribs removed
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp ginger, grated
2 tsp paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 tsp dry mustard
Salt and Pepper
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3/4 cup beef broth or 3/4 cup water with a generous teaspoon of beef base
1 tablespoon coconut oil
- After you've gathered, chopped, grated, all of your ingredients...heat oil in large skillet. Add carrot, celery and jalapeno. Cook over medium-high heat until veggies are tender, 2-3 minutes.
- Add sausage and cook until it just begins to brown.
- Add kale, cabbage, ginger, spices and salt & pepper. Stir until well mixed and kale just begins to wilt.
- Add vinegar and beef broth. Stir well (in this step it's more of a steamed dish instead of stir fry, but I wanted to make sure the veggies were tender) cover and reduce to medium heat. Cook 5-10 minutes until cabbage is soft but kale still has some structure. We want soft not mush.
- Serve as is or over rice, noodles or whatever you like. You could also add 2 tablespoons of corn starch to a bit of cold water, stir till smooth, and add to the liquid from the stir fry. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute until thick. This would give you a yummy sauce to go with your stir fry.
Nutrition Data (from caloriecount.about.com)
Calories 338 Calories from Fat 197, Total Fat 21.9g, Saturated Fat 8.9g, Trans Fat 0.0g, Cholesterol 39mg, Sodium 1013mg, Potassium 827mg, Total Carbohydrates 18.0g, Dietary Fiber 4.1g, Sugars 4.4g, Protein 17.4g, Vitamin A 224% • Vitamin C 161%, Calcium 14% •Iron 16%