Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

BBQ Deer(sorta) and Trying to be Sugar-Less

Last night I tried something new with this deer meat we have in the freezer. I took some that hubby had cut kinda small and we labeled minute steaks, added bacon, jalapeños and barbecue sauce and made dish that was surprisingly good.
I was inspired by this recipe however my "steaks" were too small to wrap around a jalapeño and the only jalapeños we had were the pickled ones. So I sorta of deconstructed it into this:
(I apologize for the sorry looking pictures. I used my phone's camera to take them).

First I took 4 slices of bacon and laid them in the bottom of a med to small sized baking dish. I then took the deer meat and layered it on top of the bacon and added jalapeños on top of that. I sprinkled some seasoning salt, thyme and pepper over everything. I didn't measure the seasonings, just went till it looked like enough.

Next I took two slices of bacon and cut them in half and layered on top. Then I placed in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes I poured some barbecue sauce over everything. I just used original recipe flavored sauce.


After another 10-15 minutes we have the finished product. It was good and didn't have a gamey taste like deer can have. Can't say it's the healthiest product with all the bacon but it came out (according to the recipe thing on Loseit.com) to around 330 calories a serving for the six of us.





Starting this weekend I think I'm going to see if I can have a sugar-less week. I'm going to try to go a week without putting any added sugar to what I consume. I'm also going to try and half the sugar in the foods I make for my family this week and see if they say anything.




No comments: