Pages

Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Do Not Tag

Facebook can be a great tool. You can keep in touch with family, friends, classmates, coworkers, etc. It makes it easier to share pictures and certain information (not everything needs to be on Facebook). If you want to see pics of your nieces and nephews from miles away it's there with a click of a button.
However privacy is practically non-existent on Facebook. You have to go in and opt out of things and hope that they don't change their policies overnight. You have to hope that you have only common information on there. Facebook does not like it when you make it hard for people to share your personal info.
My problem right now is tagging. I really want to get on there and ask everyone to not tag me or my family in statuses or pictures. My kiddies do not need links to their profiles being seen by people I do not personally know. My rule is that they are not allowed to friend anyone that they do not know in real life. If they are not related to them or go to school or church with them then they don't need to friend them on Facebook. However when someone decides to tag them in a photo or some silly status then all my rules are blown out the window. Yes I have set were tags have to be approved, but I don't trust Facebook to 100% honor that. I know they mean well and some things are all in fun, but I don't like the idea of someone I don't personally know seeing my child's fb profile.
So today I went in to their security settings and made sure everything was as tight as I can make it (without totally ruining their Facebook experience). I'll keep checking, weekly, to disapprove tags. I try my best to keep them as safe as possible until it's time to turn the reigns to them. I don't allow myself to be tagged and so I won't allow my hubby or kiddies either. Everyone that are our friends on Facebook know us anyway and so don't need to be told if we are in a picture.
So dear readers...would you ask friends/family to stop with the tagging? I think I'll do a wait and see since it's not so bad at the moment.

No comments: