Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Cold Season Shows it's Ugly Head

Yep I've got a kiddie home sick from school today. Which means I'm home from school trying to get sick kiddie better.
Last night middle son was complaining of a sore throat. I took my handy dandy little led flashlight, washed my hands and took a looksie in his throat. No redness, no white patches, no noticeable swelling. Well that's good. Took his temperature, no fever. Even better. So I give him some vitamin C, tell him to take his multi, and gave him a fish oil capsule (which he was surprised he could swallow, the things are freakin' huge). I sent him to bed and went on to prepare for bed myself. While in the shower I could hear his coughing, over the sound of running water. Ugh, it didn't sound the best. However he was already asleep, which is also a sign he's not feeling well, so didn't give him any cough medicine. This kid is one of my night owls and usually takes quite a bit for him to settle and go to sleep after being sent to bed.
So this morning I go to wake up all the kiddies for school and as usual have to tell him a few times. I take another looksie into his throat and it still looks fine. Check temperature, 96.8 so that's fine (my family normally runs a little under the 98.6 average). So I tell him to go ahead and start getting ready for school and I go start the coffee pot. Well after a few minutes he's up fixing his bowl of cereal and I see how pale he looks and notice the dark circles under his eyes. I ask him on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being someone broke your arm, how bad his throat hurts. He says an 8. I ask if he thought he could make it through school today, he says he probably should stay home. I look at him and am already thinking the same, as I didn't want to drive the 40-45 minutes to class only to get a phone call and have to turn around and drive nearly an hour to their school. The school doesn't mess around with sore throats, fever or no, and as soon as he mentioned to someone his throat hurt I would be getting a call. I want to keep an eye on him today anyway, last time he had tonsillitis and strep he didn't run a fever. Also strep is already making it's rounds, a friend of mine has had it hit her bunch week before last.
So today is going to consist of making ginger lemon honey tea, doing laundry and wiping down surfaces, studying for marketing test tomorrow, studying for chemistry test Thursday, doing lab prep work, doing other homework, more cleaning and some knitting. As soon as the temps get warm enough I'm going to air out the house. I was googling cold and flu prevention tips and one that was recurring was making sure to get fresh air. So I'm going to try that and a few other things and pray that he gets better and can go to school tomorrow (I have that test plus two labs, so really cannot miss tomorrow) and no one else comes down with it.

Here is the recipe I found for Ginger, Lemon, Honey tea. I'm really hoping it does the trick.

GINGER, LEMON, HONEY TEA

  • 3 cups of water~ bring to boil
  • 1 Ginger root ~cut up into pieces or grate
  • after water comes to a boil turn it to simmer
  • add ginger root and simmer 15 minute
  • pinch oregano (optional)
  • pinch sage (optional)
  • 1/2 juice of lemon
  • 2 TBS of honey or to taste

No comments: