Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Trying to Stay Motivated and Homemade granola bars

I almost talked myself out of going to the gym yesterday.  I had just bombed a test (which the professor is going to let me retake Thursday, woohoo) and really had the just-want-to-go-home-and-sulk thing going on.  I was talking to Hubby as I walked from class to the parking lot and he talked me into going.  His words were "Why not just go to the gym, it'll put you in a better mood and you won't be all cranky later" actually I think he said I wouldn't be a cranky butt later but still he was right.  Of course he doesn't need to know he was right, his head is big enough as it is. So I went and spent 30 minutes on the weight machines.  Working my frustrations out with pec flys, leg press, leg extension, standing quad machine( I forget the name of the exercise) and leg curls.  Then went to the cardio side to do 30 minutes on the elliptical.  Saw the trainer I was with when I took advantage of the 20 dollars for 4 training sessions.  It was great. Afterwards, I was wore out but feeling better.  This morning I'm a little sore but still glad I went.  Wednesdays are my day when I can't make it to the gym, so this afternoon I'll make my oldest son work out so he can maybe pass his PT test so he can rank up in the Civil Air Patrol.  It's all he has left to pass and the poor kid is so lanky and skinny it's probably going to be the hardest part.

Now on to Homemade granola bars.  I found a couple recipes last night and combined pieces of them so that I could make the granola bars for today.  Wednesdays are also my day where I don't have the time to grab something to eat at one of the restaurants on campus so I have to have something I can snack on during lecture.  Being a tight week money-wise I decided to make some and they turned out yummy.  Sorry I don't have a picture, my camera battery died.  I do have the recipe here:
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup sugar
2 egg
3-4 tbsp ground flaxseed
4 tbsp honey
1 tbsp coconut oil
4 cups old fashioned oats
2 cup flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup coconut

In a large bowl put:  1 cup unsweetened applesauce, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 eggs, 3 tbsp ground flaxseed and 4 tbsp honey and coconut oil.  Mix well.
In another bowl combine oats, flour, cinnamon and baking soda
Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well, fold in coconut.

Press into a large greased baking dish (i'm not sure the size of the one I used it's a large brownie pan).
Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.  Cool and cut into bars.

These were yummy, not too sweet and had more of a cookie/brownie like texture then a granola bar feel to them.

Nutritional Data from SparkRecipes.com (approx.)

12 Servings

Amount Per Serving


Calories  237.9   Total Fat 5.3 g    Saturated Fat 2.5 g    Polyunsaturated Fat 1.2 g   Monounsaturated Fat 1.0 g
 Cholesterol 35.4 mg  Sodium 118.3 mg Potassium 85.6 mg  Total Carbohydrate 43.2 g  Dietary Fiber 3.5 g    Sugars 16.8g  Protein 5.6 g

No comments: