Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

It was a short run...

Lol I suck at trying to do ANYTHING. I honestly was going to attempt to do Nablopomo, but yea after missing one day then two more days, now I can say I've blown that idea out of the water. This is the way it seems to go for anything I try to do, I'll do good for the first few days and then something comes up and I can't continue. Either someone else interrupts my plans or basically life just gets in the way (sucks how it has a tendency to do that).
I just got an email saying my bil is on his way home to his wife and kiddos. That is really nice to hear, he's been in Iraq for the past year and a half or so(it seems like forever to me and I know it's gotta seem like forever times two to my sil and their kids). I'm so glad my hubby never joined the military. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for those that do join and I stand beside them and their families. But I'm glad mine didn't. He had thought about joining the National Guard once back in high school. I would of tried to stand by him if he made that decision, but I was only 14 or 15 when he was trying to decide what to do with his life (he is 3 years older then me). I was terrified that if he joined and had to go away to boot camp or whatever then we wouldn't be together any longer(I had this idea that long distance relationships never work out, still do to a point). But he never joined, never even talked to a recruiter as far as I know. I don't know how our lives would of changed if he would of, I like it like it is so I'm glad he didn't. Not that he has a nice safe job and is home every night now. No, not my hubby, lol. He gets up at the crack of dawn goes to whatever job site they are on for the day, climbs up anywhere from just 20ft to over 100ft in the air on beams that are only about 4-5 inches or so wide and stays up there welding, connecting beams and so on all day. My hubby's main job where he works is connector (he's an ironworker in case you didn't know). So he's the one getting the beams set and putting in the bolts, then , I believe, someone else comes along and welds the joints (sometimes that someone else is him as well) and then they lay the decking and so on. I've seen him at work, but I don't make it a habit to watch him work. Because mainly, I don't want to be there and see him get hurt. With the crane swinging building materials up to them, him walking on those beams like he's on a sidewalk and him just being so darn high, I'm afraid if I watch him then I may end up watching him fall, or get knocked off. As for the being home every night, well for most of the time he's been in Ironwork he has been away more then he was home, and still a couple times a year they go and do a job far enough away that he'll be away for 2 or 3 days. When our third child was born, Hubby went to do an out of time when he was a week old, it ended up being two out of town jobs. So I was home alone with two toddlers and a newborn and no one nearby to help out. I was a very long week for me to say the least. By the time number four came along I was an old pro at juggling the kids by myself, so when hubby went out-of-town I handled it fairly well. I'm grateful now, though, that they don't do the amount of out-of-town jobs they used to. They were doing 1 or 2 a week for the longest time, now its a few a year. Hubby and I are waiting for the company to start doing them again though, 'cause we have a feeling they will ask Hubby to do them. We like the overtime and the resulting money that comes from that, but the time away from each other is awful. He truly is my other half and we are away for an extended period of time I feel as if I'm just going through the movements. No real thoughts or emotions, but when we are together. Oh joy, how quickly the world goes from black and white to full color.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't beat yourself up over the nanoblomopo thing. Just start over...no one would say a word, I promise. LOL!
It was great to have you visit my place today. I added you to my blogroll. :)