Pages

Friday, November 23, 2007

So...How did your turkey day go?

Ours was pretty good really. I got up, put the turkey in a brine solution and went and had the kids turn on the Macy's christmas parade. The I proceeded to make biscuits for breakfast, clean house, help dd with cookies she wanted to make and do a million dishes it seemed. At about 1pm I put the turkey in the turkey roaster. At 3 pm I realized the turkey was never going to get done in the roaster because it was too big for the roaster. So I put it in the oven and got the green bean casserole and sweet potato casserole ready to be baked later and boiled the potatoes for mashed potatoes. At about 4pm I began the giblet gravy, mashed the potatoes and checked on the turkey. At about 5 pm I stuck a thermometer in the turkeys leg. It read the proper temp so I called Hubby in to pull the turkey out of the oven so it could rest (I guess it's hard work being baked/roasted). Then I put the casseroles in the oven. About 20-30 min later the casseroles were done and I called Hubby back in to carve the turkey. Well guess what, the turkey wasn't done. So we put the slices back on the stupid bird and shoved it back in the oven. Finally we got to eat somewhere between 6:30 and 7pm. We got tired of waiting and carved off slices of the bird that were done and then put the rest of the bird back in the oven on a lower temp. No one has a tummy ache or anything so I guess it was all right. It was a 20lb bird and I'm not used to cooking one that big, obviously, lol.


Other then that the rest of the day went well. I didn't have to yell at the kids(I bit my tongue a few times but I was really trying to have a good day with out a bunch of yelling). The kids didn't fight, much. Hubby was a little bored though, but he got over it. It's really nice to have holidays just hubby, me and the kiddies. I like seeing our other family members, but only on non-holiday days. It's too stressful to try and visit, keep track of kids, cook and clean and make sure everyone else is staying occupied so they can't say they had a bad time. When we go up there to visit we end up having to go to half a dozen houses because everyone wants us to visit them and then the kiddies get tired and cranky(not so bad now since they are older but when they were younger I dreaded it majorly). Then someone gets mad because we either didn't make it out to see them or they feel like we didn't spend enough time with them. Its just not worth the headache.


Staying home just the six of us is relaxing. I don't have to get up, get everyone else up, get dressed up. We can just lay around playing games, watching t.v. till the food is done. Okay so they can lay around playing games and watching t.v. I'll be in and out of the kitchen cooking the food but still it's nice.

1 comment:

LarryLilly said...

I was from back east, but since I went to college, and then jobs and all, we were never closer than 1200 miles. So we grew up with holidays on our own for most of those years.

Its easier, it ties the family at holiday time, and when its nicer, then you travel for summer visits, no big food orgy to get in the way.

Now that the kids are grown and out, its just me and the wife, and we like that also.

Its what you make of it, so enjoy the stress free holidays.