Pages

Monday, November 07, 2011

Balance?

Today's writing prompt is a good one. "How do you balance your children, relationship, and work life? "

I wouldn't call my life balanced at all. Between my classes, kids school and other activities, church, Hubby's work. It gets very unbalanced and crazy. I can only wish for some semblance of balance around here.
My typical day goes like this:
On Mondays and Wednesdays I wake up about 5:30am(after hitting the snooze for at least 30 minutes). As I walk down the hallway toward the coffee pot(that is the only object that exists at 5:30am) I'm turning on bedroom lights and telling the kiddies it's time to get up. I get to the coffee pot and start the manna from Heaven. I then go back down the hallway, telling any stragglers that it's time to get up and ready, and get myself dressed and ready for the day. Sometime during this time I usually kiss the Hubby good morning. Next, I go back up the hallway, checking again to make sure everyone is up out of bed and at least pretending to get ready for school. I'm also deciding breakfast, usually cold cereal on these two days. I grab my coffee and kiss Hubby good bye.
At 6:15-6;20am I'm telling the kiddies it's time to get stuff together and how much longer they have before time to head out the door. 6:30 am we are out the door and heading down the driveway to wait for the bus(only exception was last week were I had to stay on the front porch due to my poor banged up foot which is still sore but I think is healing nicely, thanks for asking). Between 6:32 and 6:35 the bus arrives to pick up the kiddies. I then head back to the house to get my stuff together(books, lunch made, gym bag ready) and get out the door by 7:00am. I then go through the next few hours sitting in lectures, going to the gym, studying, and more lectures before leaving for home between 6:30 and 6:55pm. Well that's Mondays, Wednesdays I add two labs then leave for home around 8pm.
On Tuesdays and Thursdays my mornings are calmer. Routine is pretty much the same but these days I'll fix a simple but hot breakfast. After the kiddies are off to school I can check emails and do a check to make sure homework is done or do any last minute studying. I leave the house about 7:45 to 8:00am to get to school early so I can find parking anywhere else but BFE. Tuesdays I have two classes, unfortunately they are 6 hours apart. So this day is my library and do homework/studying for the week day. Thursdays I have the same two classes plus lab in between and a fitness class for the next couple weeks anyway. I leave campus about 6:45pm to head home.
Once home, no matter what day, I eat whatever dinner Hubby has produced lovingly for his family(or whatever he threw together and said good enough, both work for me). I kiss the kids goodnight and watch some t.v. or check emails, blogs and then go to bed myself...usually by 10:00pm.
Fridays are great, morning routine is the same, but I don't have classes so it's home all day and hopefully finding the motivation to clean, do homework, study for finals that are rapidly approaching.
My weekends are my balance. I try to make sure I have the majority of my homework done during the week so that I can spend time with my family during the weekend. Now, finals week does negate this a bit due to the stress and anxiety making a big urge to cram every bit of knowledge I can in my lil' 'ol brain the weekend before.
I'm blessed that I don't have to work and thank God that Hubby has a good, steady job(right now, it's not always been steady). If I had to work then the balance would be off even more, my weekends would be full of clocking in and out and I would miss my family greatly(been there done that, didn't do well).
After writing everything down the balance isn't as bad as it seemed when I was thinking of it beforehand. I guess things always seem worse till you give them some light.
So my balance currently is just try to make sure everything gets quality time. I try to give my classwork quality, my Hubby gets some quality, my kiddies get some quality...my housework is lacking somewhat, I'll catch that up between semesters.

Oh and heard this song today, think it kind of suits:


No comments: