Pages

Monday, November 28, 2011

Heirlooms

Today's writing prompt was/is to describe a family heirloom. Also to describe what it means to you personally.
Well, I can't really write on this one as I don't think we have any family heirlooms just yet. I have some old costume jewelry that may or may not be worth anything from my great grandma. I have some quilt tops from another grandmother. I have some crocheted pieces from a cousins grandma. None of these are actual heirlooms. Personally they mean a great deal in memories to me.
Heirloom is defined as: A valuable object that has belonged to a family for several generations. So by definition my family doesn't have these. I don't come from wealthy ancestor's. Mine on my mom's side came across the Atlantic either search of the American dream or for political reasons. The vast majority on my father's side is Native American. I don't have any Mayflower pilgrim ancestors or the like. Just everyday peoples.
So my goal is to keep what I am given from my grandparents and great grandparents in hopes that when my great or great great grandchildren receive them they are actual heirlooms for them to be proud of.

No comments: